Can't list or transfer a zone

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Feb 15 12:18:18 UTC 2000

> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this is a simple configuration thing, but I can't seem to find any i
> nfo on where/how to go about fixing it.  The problem manifests itself when I
> try to do 'ls -d <domain>' on my local nameserver using nslookup.  I get 'Can
> 't list domain: <domain>: Unspecified error'.  I'm running BIND-8.2-6 on an I
> ntel Linux box. When I grep var/log/messages, I get an error string stating t
> hat I'm asking for an 'unapproved AXFR from <my IP address> for <domain> (no
> auth)'  I get the same error when I try to transfer a zone from a slave DNS s
> erver. I've tried adding a xfrnets directive to named.conf, but that didn't h
> elp.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

	1. fix the errors reported when the zone file was loaded.
	Named will not permit outgoing zone transfers if it has
	detected an error when loading the zone file.

	2. the current bind release is BIND 8.2.2-P5, there are
	known security flaws in the version you are running.

	3. xfrnets is a BIND 4 directive.  Allow-transfer is the
	BIND 8 replacement.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com