BIND Zone XFER Problems

Peter Ziemann ziemann.nortel-dasa at t-online.de
Tue Feb 15 10:00:08 UTC 2000

The fancy observation is that DIG / NSLOOKUP works fine when I transfer
the zone from my local environment. Even XFER-NAMED works fine.

However when I invoke the AXFR from a remote location the process will
"hang-up".

I have generated a TEST-DOMAIN on my nameserver (IP=62.154.221.2)
which took the original PZIEMANN.DE domain. I have renamed the non-working
domain file into TEST-PZIEMANN.DE. I have changed the IP Addresses
to artificial ones ('66' instead of '62') - don't be surprised.

DIG @62.154.221.2 pziemann.de AXFR <======== this works fine

DIG @62.154.221.2 test.pziemann.de AXFR <=== will hang up !!!!!!!

Regards,

Peter

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message
news:38A89394.28A967CD at daimlerchrysler.com...
> I cut and paste'd your non-working zone file and loaded it just fine. I
had to
> join the SOA and TXT records, of course, since they were split into
separate
> lines in my newsreader. And there was the usual "no default TTL set"
warning,
> since there was no $TTL directive. Strange, you said no errors or
warnings, but
> you should have at *least* gotten the TTL warning. Or, did you just edit
the
> $TTL directive before posting the zone file? Maybe you have something
screwy
> with your logging that is hiding the real error.
>
> That "DNS Boss" TXT record is only 1 line, right?
>

> - Kevin
>
> Peter Ziemann wrote:
>
> > Yes, but I have modified my zone file until I got it working
> > (took me several hours trial-and-error). I have also tried
> > before several BIND options - no change. Furtheron I
> > have recompiled the whole BIND 8.2.2-P5 distribution
> > and observed no errors & warning - again no change.
> >
> > I still do not know what the problem is. I think I will write a
> > BUG REPORT for BIND 8.2.2-P5 & will help to trace down
> > the problem with my environment/configuration.
> >
> > Peter Ziemann

 SNIP