Help on Master/Slave NS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 14 17:02:22 UTC 2000

In article <38A7A4B5.6B9DF1ED at nowhere.com>,
Aaron Anderson  <nothing at nowhere.com> wrote:
>Slave NS
>/etc/named.conf
>----------------
>  options {
>          directory "/var/named";
>
>          // Uncommenting this might help if you have to go through a
>          // firewall and things are not working out:
>
>          // query-source address * port 53;
>  };

The stuff below should be in /etc/named.conf, not /var/named/mydomain.com.

>/var/named/mydomain.com
>---------------------------
>  zone "mydomain.com" {
>          notify yes;
>          type slave;
>          file "mydomain.com";
>          masters {4.3.2.1.};
>  };                        ^----  IP of primary NS
>

>NS part of my zone file
>
>NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
>NS      1.2.3.4    ; Backup Name Server

NS records point to hostnames, not addresses.  It should be:

   NS  ns  ; master name server
   NS  ns2 ; slave name server

Also, make sure those lines are indented.  If they start at the left margin
like in your post, "NS" will be interpreted as the host name, not the
record type.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com