How does an InterNIC DNS change propagate?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Feb 14 16:48:13 UTC 2000

In article <88575d$8oi$1 at bob.news.rcn.net>,
Christopher Sung <chris.sung at rcn.com> wrote:
>About 10 days ago, I changed the IP for a domain from a shared hosting
>solution to my own box in a data center.  I'm using the data center's
>primary and secondary DNS servers for the new IP, so via the Network
>Solutions website, I changed the DNS info for my domain.
>
>However, the person responsible for setting up my zone record at the
>domain's new location in the data center mistakenly put in the old IP
>address (from the shared-hosting solution) for my domain and not the new
>one.  I caught this about a day and a half after the InterNIC info was
>changed, and the zone record was quickly corrected.
>
>The problem is that 8 days after the change, there are a few ISPs that seem
>to still be using the old IP, and I'm wondering if this is because of the
>small window of time in which the DNS change propagated with the old IP
>address in the zone record.
>
>Since I have no idea what actually takes place when you enter new DNS
>servers for a domain at InterNIC, I was wondering if the ISPs with the
>incorrect info will ever be corrected.  I get the feeling I might have to
>file another DNS change, specifying the exact same info.  But I'm wondering
>if InterNIC will start another propagation of this info, if the new info is
>exactly the same as what's currently there.

Is the old DNS provider still hosting the domain as well?  The problem may
be that other DNS servers have cached those NS records, so they keep going
back to those servers.  And every time they query those servers, they
receive updated NS records with new TTL's, so the records never expire out
of the cache.

You need to get the old provider to remove the zone from their DNS servers,
so that they'll stop perpetuating themselves.  Servers only look at what
the InterNIC-managed servers say when they don't have anything more
specific in their caches.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com