Bind 8.2.2 P5 hanging up...

Philip L. Butler butler at dii.net
Sun Feb 13 15:27:23 UTC 2000

I am sorry I haven't responded to all of the comments made in the
last week.  I have been out of town.

I am still trying to make sense of all the comments - looks like lots
of ideas - but here's a little bit more info for what it's worth.

1) There was some mention of problems with bind 8 on a Linux system.
I forgot to mention that I had troubles even getting it compiled.
Here's what I had to do to get bind 8.2.2 P5 to compile on a
Slackware 2.0.38 kernel:

    * Manually set the .settings file to contain 'linux'.
    * modify the lib/isc makefile to change 'bsdos' to 'linux'
    * run the newly modified bin/isc makefile
    * Run the main makefile for all of bind.

It seems that the configure incorrectly determined that we were
running on a BSD system and there were massive compile problems.  The
above seemed to fix it, but I wonder what problems I may have
introduced by doing the above.

2) I have not yet turned on debugging to see what happens, but will
be doing so soon.

3) It looks like I need to make sure I have the latest syslog.

4) After looking at the logs of several systems - most of which work
with 2.0.38/Bind 8.2.2 P5 and two of which don't, I find that:  Both
systems that hang up have lines like:

>  Feb  3 16:30:18 (none) named[43]: ns_req: sendto([172.23.9.2].137):
>Connection refused

Specifically port 137 is logged in both of the systems that hang up
and NONE of the systems that don't.   This may be significant  !!  If
I recall, port 137 is some kind of netbios thing.  I don't understand
why this would interfere with bind though -- any words of wisdom out
there ??

Thanks,

Phil Butler
butler at dii.net