Bind V9 and hosting lots of Domains

Leo Vegoda bind at bind.org
Sun Feb 13 07:10:21 UTC 2000

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 09:23:04AM -0800, in message <9tgp4.235212$5r2.597665 at tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, Gareth Houghton (ghoughto at netcom.ca) wrote: Re: Re: Bind V9 and hosting lots of Domains

> We have a seperate zone file for each zone. Hence loading currently requires
> accessing all 220,000 files. The files are generated from an Oracle database
> so we are flexible about what format is generated for bind. Individual zones
> are continually changing though so we need an organisation which can
> accomodate this.

Couldn't you build some new nameservers, register them as hosts at
InterNIC and re-delegate your domains between the new machines? If you
limited each nameserver to 55,000 zones they should be quicker loading.
If you are an authorised contact on the domains you should be able to
re-delegate them easily enough - just run a perl script sending out
all those e-mails.

Regards,

--
leo