MX records not available on secondary DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 12 01:13:42 UTC 2000

paul_316 at my-deja.com wrote:

> I have a Linux system running as a secondary DNS box for our local DNS
> entries.  Question...When I use nslookup and check for MX records on
> this box it comes up blank for everything.  When I use nslookup on the
> primary it can find all the MX records.
> I'm missing something in the configuration - any ideas?
> PS - I don't have visiblity into the system settings on the primary DNS
> server.

What do you mean by "comes up blank"? Usually nslookup will return
"Non-existent host/domain", or some similar wording. If you want to
troubleshoot DNS problems, the concensus around these here parts seems to
be that dig is far superior to nslookup. If you *must* use nslookup, at
least turn on debug and dot-terminate the query -- this should give you a
better idea of what the nameserver is returning, and not muddy the waters
with unwanted searchlist/defname queries.

By the way, is the zone actually transferring to your slave successfully?

- Kevin