Bind V9 and hosting lots of Domains

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Feb 11 18:17:36 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Gareth" == Gareth Houghton <ghoughto at netcom.ca> writes:

    Gareth> We currently host 220,000 domains.
    Gareth> Will Bind V9 be more efficient for us?

I can't see how. After all, no matter what name server you use, it
will still have to keep track of the same number of domains. Demand
would be "more efficient" or not is anyone's guess. Keeping the
unreferenced zone data out of the name server will certainly save RAM
and VM. The overhead and complications of pulling this stuff on demand
out of a database or whatever could well generate inefficiencies and
complications elsewhere. Swings and roundabouts.... I suppose the
outcome will depend on the metrics you use to define "efficiency".

Each zone will need a struct dns_zone (zoneinfo in BIND8). For small
zones, this could well be bigger than the actual zone data. So
shunting that data off to disk might not save you significant amounts
of RAM anyway.