Homeless, will work for a DNS answer.

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Fri Feb 11 10:38:52 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Chris Leppink" <cleppink at rjgordon.com>

> DNS and BIND is still a Pandora's box to me.  I have a Win2k Server running
> IIS5 and SMTP protocol installed.  I am going to be virtual hosting
> approximately 30 basic web sites on that server.  The only mail server will
> be on one domain name which will also be a web server.  So I want:
>
> IP 10.0.0.5
>                 www.mydomain.com    and...
>                  mail.mydomain.com
>
> Example: To give everybody with mydomain mail accounts access to their mail
> via outlook express:
>
> Incoming Mail, POP3, IMAP         mail.mydomain.com
> Outgoing Mail SMTP                             mydomain.com
>
> How do I tell the person handling the DNS on the Name Servers to enter this
> and what do I do on the server (this question is strictly regarding the
> setup of a mail system (i.e.Aureate Group Mail)).  The DNS person is not
> helpful and if I don't submit it right it will be rejected.

Basically, you need an A record for every IP address, e.g.
"server-01.mydomain.com. A 10.0.0.5". If you want to point multiple names
to the same address, it's often best to use CNAME records, e.g.
"www.mydomain.com. CNAME server-01.mydomain.com."

For incoming mail, you need MX records, e.g. "mydomain.com. MX 10
mail.mydomain.com."; how to configure the mail servers, OTOH, is beyond
the topic of this list.

If you need to build the entire zone file yourself, you'll also need other
stuff, e.g. NS records. All of this is further described in
<http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/docs/basic.txt>.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!

Powerful, automated web hosting: <http://www.virtualis.com/vr/tkotteli/>