Windows 2000 - Active Directory & underscores

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Feb 11 00:42:20 UTC 2000

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for this answer.  It is what I was looking for.
>
> But it does open something for discussion...
>
> BIND supports RFC2136, but not RFC2181.

	BIND does support RFC 2181.  Most of the clarifications came out
	of the BIND work.  BIND *does* support underscores.  It happily
	accepts (by default) them except from zones it is a master for
	where the default is to reject them if and only if they are used
	in the context of a hostname / mailname.  The only difference here
	is we default "on" not "off" for this checking.  Yes such checking
	is in RFC 2181.

	There are some parts of RFC 2181 that BIND 4 and BIND 8 cannot do
	due to internal design decisions taken well before RFC 2181 was
	even contemplated.  BIND 9 does not have those restrictions.

	If you want to know why we default "on", it is due to the "Principle
	of Least Astonisment".  The DNS is a (potentially) hostile database
	to retrieve data from.  Gethostbyaddr protects it's clients by
	enforcing RFC 952 + RFC 1123.  If we didn't default to "on" all we
	would be doing is responding to complaints that "you allowed us
	to enter these names but you don't accept them".

	The administrator of the server can change the default any time
	they like, however they should then be aware that they are stepping
	outside of agreed interoperablity guarentees.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com