MX record question ...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 10 18:38:56 UTC 2000

In article <200002101651.IAA11385 at sonny.mda.ca>,
Jeffery Richards [2667] <jrichard at mda.ca> wrote:
>I have one more question to ask ... having a bit of "fun" with the MX
>records here.  I'm getting the error message:
>
>   sendmail[17433]: PAA17433: SYSERR(root): MX list for sys2.domain.ca points
>                    back to sys1.domain.ca
>
>Sys2 is our majordomo server and sys1 is our email server.  In the zone
>file I have the following:
>
>   domain.ca.                 IN      MX      10 sys1.domain.ca.
>   *.domain.ca.               IN      MX      10 sys1.domain.ca.
>
>And also in order to keep web surfers happy because they can't seem to
>remember to enter www.domain.ca but only domain.ca I have:
>
>   domain.ca.                 IN      A       999.999.50.1
>
>This is in addition to the regular A records:
>
>   www.domain.ca.             IN      A       999.999.50.1
>   sys1.domain.ca.            IN      A       999.999.100.1
>   sys2.domain.ca.            IN      A       999.999.100.2
>
>These are the only records I think are relevant, but I don't see how or why
>the error is coming out.  Can someone perhaps explain the error message in
>a bit of detail and then perhaps I can determine the cause(s).

Hmm, I don't see the MX record for sys2.domain.ca that it's complaining
about.  Are you sure there's nothing like

   sys2.domain.ca.  IN MX  10 sys1.domain.ca.

?

The error message indicates that the MX record for sys2.domain.ca points to
sys1.domain.ca, but nothing in its sendmail.cf tells it how to deliver mail
for sys2.domain.ca, so it doesn't know what to do with it.  If this mail
should be delivered locally on that machine, you need to add sys2.domain.ca
to the sendmail.cw file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com