How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 10 15:41:05 UTC 2000

In article <38A24870.2BFE374E at montevino.com>,
Lawrence Chan <webmaster at montevino.com> wrote:
>Is there a default value for such cache size set when installing Bind and if so,
>how large?  Surely, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if one has
>limited memory and without some sort of cron job.  Is this problem applicable to
>all Bind versions or is it just to Bind 8 onward?

By default, it uses whatever the system's default limits are.

Except for very heavily used DNS servers (like the ones operated by ISPs),
named's cache doesn't usually grow too huge.  If you have only a few 10's
or hundreds of users, they're not going to access millions of different
sites in a day.  Most DNS records have TTLs between an hour and a day, so
they'll be flushed from the cache pretty soon.  DNS servers in such
environments usually reach their maximum size after a day or two.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com