puzzled by NS records from referrers

Marc_Lampo at hotmail.com Marc_Lampo at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:40:13 UTC 2000

In article <2WHn4.61$%47.702 at burlma1-snr2>,
  Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
> >Also noteworthy is that slave servers of the tld. domain (that are
not
> >slave for customer.tld.) do return various answers : some return 2
NS's,
> >others return 3 NS's. (which seems unrelated to the version of the
> >server or the "recursion available" being set or not).
>
> It sounds to me like some of them (including the tld server) are not
> actually getting successful transfers of the subdomain, so all they
know
> are the NS records in the tld.
>
> When you get 2 NS's, does it have the "authoritative answer" flag set?

Thanks, I see what you mean, the master of the tld is also slave
for the domain.tld in question.

As a matter of fact only the tld. master returns aa
 (and 3 NS's for the domain)
One of the slaves for the tld. returns !aa (but 3 NS's)
All others return !aa and 2 NS's

The one that returns !aa + 3 NS's claims to be : bind 8.1.2,
all the others some flavor of 8.2.2.

The master of the tld disallows axfr,
so I cannot see what is in that zone/what the slaves receive.

Thanks a lot,

Marc

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com
> GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the group.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.