How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 9 18:25:52 UTC 2000

I was thinking more along the lines of setting a datasize limit and then restarting
named when it crashes. But, as I said, this would only be a last resort, where you
needed to keep memory free for other processes/servers/daemons on the same box. On
a dedicated DNS server, I wouldn't set a limit at all, but if I were chronically
short on memory, I'd probably want to tune the cleaning interval, and possibly the
max-ncache-ttl, just to keep the cache as clean as possible at all times (tuning
these to reduce memory footprint will, however, increase CPU and/or network load;
just be aware of the tradeoffs). And, of course, make sure I had plenty of swap
space...

- Kevin