How often is it suggested to restart Bind8 ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 9 17:08:49 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <4.2.0.58.20000209145832.03d291e0 at pop3.mailbox.co.uk>,
> Andy Spiers  <andy at centralnic.com> wrote:
> >
> >At 01:21 PM 2/9/00 +0100, Gildas PERROT wrote:
> >>I am using bind8.2.2p5 as a primary server on Solaris 2.6. I found
> >>that the cache is growing a lot and sometimes it would be good to
> >>clean it by a restart. How often is it suggested to restart it ?
> >
> >You should never have to restart bind periodically. Just set a limit on the
> >amount of memory used by the RR cache by using data-size in the options
> >section of named.conf. For example:
>
> What do you think happens when it reaches that limit?  I'll tell you: named
> crashes and you have to restart it.

Just have a cron job check for "named" every minute and restart it if necessary
:-)

(Actually, that's only half in jest: if *forced* to run named on a pathetically
memory-deprived system, where other, more stateful servers were also contending
for the memory resources, I might consider this option. Or, alternatively, I might
just buy some more RAM for the box, putting it on my personal credit card if
necessary, just to embarrass the beancounters :-).

- Kevin