Registering in ALL tlds

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 8 05:19:41 UTC 2000

Tell your boss what he asks is impossible. Many foreign registries
simply won't allow you to register directly under their TLD: they'll
force you to go under co.<TLD> (assuming you're a commercial outfit), or
some level deeper. And since they own the TLD, after all, you play by
their rules or not at all.

Register.com has a price list for all of the country-code domain
registrations they'll handle, and a total at the bottom, i.e. register
*everywhere*, that is greater than $25,000. Ask your boss what part of
the budget that comes out of. His bonus?

(Sorry if that's a little vicious, but I'm just a little sick and tired
of some of the domain-o-rrhea I've had to put up with lately. Can you
say "gnarlycoolgroovy.com"? I can. Barf.)

As for creating zone files into the next century (that's next year,
isn't it? :-), if the zone data is trivial enough, you could probably do
the old "point all of the zone definitions to the same zone file" trick.

- Kevin