Bind 8.2.2 P5 hanging up...

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Feb 7 02:48:01 UTC 2000

> Jim Reid wrote:
> >
> >     >> Feb 3 15:48:08 (none) named[43]: Cleaned cache of 41 RRsets.
> >     >> Feb 3 16:30:18 (none) named[43]: ns_req: sendto([172.23.9.2].137):
> Connection refused
> >
> > I certainly missed this first time around.
> >
> > The "connection refused" report is interesting.
> >
> > Now the detail in the log message indicates that the name server got
> > this error when it sent an answer to port 137 of IP address
> > 172.23.9.2. ie Something at 172.23.9.2 sent a query with the source
> > port set to 137, but by the time the name server sent a reply back
> > there was nothing using that port number.
> >
> > So there probably isn't a problem with the name server at all.
>
> There certainly, and likely, is a problem with the name server.  This will
> happen if the name server hangs and the remote end gives up (times out)
> waiting for a response and/or moves on to another server and gets an answer.
> That's what is likely happening with this and other similar reports.
> Getting to the bottom of why the name server is hanging is proving tough,
> but is only happening on Linux platforms, AFAIK.  I have not been able to
> recreate this on my servers, but some of my customers are experiencing this.
>
> Mark [Andrews], any new specifics about syslog blocking/hanging on Linux
> flavors?  Kernel and/or syslogd "bug"?  You had mentioned in an earlier post
> that that might be the case.

	Below is the RH security advisary w.r.t. syslog{d}.  Other
	Linux vendors have issued similar.
	http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA1999055-01.6.0.html
	We have seen system call traces where named is frozen sending
	a message to syslog.

	"connection refused"s usually just means that the client
	has timed out, you are still running a old version of bind
	that does not have the SO_LINGER call disabled (the current
	version is #ifdef DO_SO_LINGER, not #ifdef SO_LINGER, see
	ns_main.c), you are being used as a amplifier (middle man)
	in a DOS attack [AL-1999.004] or someone has found a new
	way to stall the server.

	A small number of "connection refused"s are *normal* as
	the nameserver has longer timeouts than the clients,
	servers/links may be down, etc.

	[AL-1999.004]
	ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-1999.004.dns_dos

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com