mx records & authority

Corris Randall corris at mail.com
Sun Feb 6 03:55:01 UTC 2000

I have a little problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me
out
with. we have a connection to the internet on one network, say,
12.13.64/24
(joe.com) and we have a connection to a private network 205.19.134/25
(joe.bigcompany.com) which isn't accessable from the Internet. our name
server, 12.13.64.25 provides primary for joe.com, and in the past (with
BIND
4.x) we had these mx records (authoritative for joe.com):

joe.com. in mx 2 mailer.joe.com.
joe.com. in a 12.13.64.128

bigcompany.com. in mx 5 bounce.joe.com.
*.bigcompany.com. in mx 5 bounce.joe.com.
bigcompany.nl. in mx 5 bounce.joe.com.
*.bigcompany.nl. in mx 5 bounce.joe.com.

there is a hole in the firewall between the 12 and the 205 networks
locally
which allows port 25 from bounce to an MTA on the 205 net to deliver
"bigcompany" email through our "bigcompany" connection, rather than out
through the internet (so internal mail gets delivered securely). this
setup
was working with bind 4 but not with bind 8....

any ideas?

-corris