about website forwarding and email forwarding

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Feb 4 19:14:48 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.04.10002041159520.13154-100000 at guangbin.interland.net>,
 <bind at guangbin.interland.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Some companies are providing website forwarding and email forwarding service.
>
>With E-mail Forwarding, you have the ability to have all mail addressed to
>your-domain-name.com forwarded to your current e-mail address.
>
>With Website Forwarding, you have the ability to direct
>http://www.your-domain-name.com) to your "real" website, for example,
>http://www.anotherdomain.com/dir1/file1.html.
>
>I don't know how it works in the dns view, Could somebody explains how
>it works? Can we implement both website forwarding and email forwarding
>using BIND?

They require assistance from additional software.

For email forwarding, the MX record for your-domain-name.com points to the
forwarding service's mail server.  Its SMTP server has a table that tells
it where to forward mail for user at your-domain-name.com.

For website forwarding, the IP address of www.your-domain-name.com points
to their server.  It then uses HTTP redirect to send the browser to
http://www.anotherdomain.com/dir1/file1.html.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com