Forwarding from Internal DNS server.

union union at icon.co.za
Fri Feb 4 15:18:21 UTC 2000

Hi Kevin,Jim

Thanks for the responses!

I will try better explain what I am trying to achieve.

The setup I am trying to put into effect is a split namespace to do the
following :

Let all internal hosts resolve all  internal names from the internal DNS
system, and all external Internet names be resolved by the local ISP's DNS.
(I was hoping that the internal DNS would be able to forward these queries
onto the ISP's DNS). ie.) Internally we want to see  internal namespaces +
external Internet namespace.
All external Internet hosts can only see a sub-set of out internal namespace
(Shadow namespace hosted on ISP's DNS). Address translation takes place
through the firewall.
Internal default routes on local Lans point to the local firewall.
The objective:
If an address request for an external Internet host, made from an internal
host, "COULD?" be obtained by the internal DNS system forwarding all
unresolved external queries to the ISP's DNS, then internal users should be
able to browse/send mail/FTP both internally , and externally.

If I change the DNS setup so that internal hosts can only see the internal
namespace on Internal DNS servers then I have to setup a local mail relay
host(that uses the ISP's DNS, and my internal DNS wildcard MX's will point
to this relay) to forward all Internet mail. I would also then have to set
up a proxy server(which also uses the local ISP's DNS) to allow
browsing/FTPing  on the Internet. This model now means that I now have to
maintain a mail relay,proxy server, and internal DNS system. I guess on the
different internal root servers I could try and setup the wilcard MX's to
point to there local mail relay. While the approach that I was trying to get
working above means that I need to only maintain an internal DNS system, and
an externally resolvable name would allow the default routes to use the
local ISP connection.

Is it not possibly to get the first method working?? And if so what are my
missing components?

Thanks

union at icon.co.za