Stealth dns and SOA record

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Feb 3 22:56:10 UTC 2000

In article <949615647.556171 at shelley.paradise.net.nz>,
Nicholas Lee <nj.lee at kiwa.co.nz> wrote:
>Semantics I guess.  Easier to say published primary than published domainz
>(in my case) primary (PDP).  This is of course seperate from master or
>slave.

I usually just say "published servers" and "hidden primary".

>Tell me, is there a issue with only the PDP slaving to the stealth server
>while the PDSs remain slaved to the PDP?

No.  The PDSs will log warnings about getting NOTIFY from a non-master
server, but you can ignore those.  We use a similar setup when we provide
slave service for our customers' domains.  We have a single stealth slave
server that does the transfer from all the customer masters, and then our
published slaves transfer from the stealth slave.  As a result, the
published slaves get NOTIFY messages from the customer masters; they log
the warning and ignore them.  We use also-notify on our stealth slave so
that it will notify the published slaves after it has transferred the zone,
and we tell our customers to use also-notify to notify the stealth slave
(but I don't think many of them bother).

>> >So I'd be correct in saying that the SOA record is used only by: dynamic
>> >updates, NOTIFYs and zone tranfers?
>>
>> The MinTTL field is used by caching servers as the negative cache time.
>> And some lame delegation warning scripts use the point of contact as the
>> destination for mail.
>
>Actually one other thing I noticed about the SOA record is that, given the
>master zone, if no MX record exists in the db.domain file and a nic.domain
>point of contact (POC) record is used in both the db.domain and db."PTR"
>files, then named (8.2.2P5) complains on the db."PTR" POC but not the
>db.domain POC.

I've never heard of named complaining about the POC field at all.  What
does it say about them?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com