I'm getting: ndc: error: name server has not started (yet?)

Josh Rivel jrivel at dti.net
Thu Feb 3 16:58:34 UTC 2000

Hi.
I'm running a Solaris 2.6 name server, running bind-8.2.2-P5

Whenever I do a "ndc start" I see the error message
ndc: error: name server has not started (yet?)

But yet indeed named is running, however, it does not create the socket
in /usr/local/etc, so any further ndc commands/queries fail.

ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/usr/local/etc/ndc)

We are providing DNS for roughly 1900 zones on that machine,
and it's also a mail relay server.  Load on the machine is below 0.50
most of the time.  It is an Ultra-1 with 64MB Of Ram and a single
143MHz CPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Bind is working as it's supposed
to, but not being able to start and stop it via ndc is a little
annoying.

--
josh