Apache named-based virtualhost and DNS II

Bruce Ordway ordway at uswest.net
Thu Feb 3 07:33:41 UTC 2000

Bruce Ordway wrote:

>> I've been working on getting Apache running on my RH61 box.
>> I wanted to get a couple of site running off of the same ip address.
>> I'm using bogus names and numbers on a private LAN.
>> Now the Apache is working but the DNS is a little goofy.
>> NSLookup of www.bordway.org returns name www.bordway.org and address
>> 128.1.1.55 OK.
>> NSLookup of www.mordway.org returns name of www.mordway.org.bordway.org
and
>> address of 128.1.1.55.
>>etc........
>> Any ideas where I have strayed?

- Kevin replied:
>The lack of a trailing period on "www.mordway.org" is what is causing
>"bordway.org" to be appended to the name.
>More importantly, though, if "mordway.org" is to be a separate zone, it
needs
>to be in a separate zone file with its own "master" definition in
named.conf.
>You can't put data from different zones in the same zone file (except for
>delegations and/or glue, if you want to be nitpicky about it).

Kevin was right. I created a new file called db.mordway & made a reference
to it in my named.conf. Now nslookup gives www.bordway.org and
www.mordway.org.

So I'm starting to get the picture now, but it just keeps bringing up more
questions. Does the average ISP have a zone file created for every domain it
hosts? How would you ftp into one of these to update your web pages?

Thanks,
Bruce