Primary DNS is NT-based but Want Secondary with Linux

Philip Forst phil80 at netscape.net
Wed Feb 2 03:42:17 UTC 2000

Hello all.

I am considering setting up a secondary DNS in my office using bind 8.2 with a
Linux-Mandrake 6.0 box.  Setting up a caching-only name server has not been a
problem, but I would prefer to set up a secondary DNS.

The issue is that the primary DNS is NT-based.  From what I've read, "proper"
set up a secondary DNS constitutes getting copies of named.conf and the db.*
(zone files) from the primary and making the appropriate changes  in
named.conf (slave instead of master, etal).

Does a NT-based primary DNS have the same files such that bind on a Linux box
can execute a zone transfer?  One important piece of info:  My office is a LAN
that is part of a nationwide WAN.  So, whereas the primary DNS may have an IP
of 204.252.128.x, the secondary on the LAN would have an IP of 179.125.100.x.
The IP addresses are fake -- just props to get the point across.

Can something like this work without a lot of specialized configuration
changes or am I looking at a lot of potential problems with this kind of
setup?  Any voices of experience?

Any assistance that you can provide is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  If
you request extra info, please note that I receive the digest version of this
mailing group, so my response time may appear slow.