Forwarding from Internal DNS server.

union union at icon.co.za
Tue Feb 1 10:55:22 UTC 2000

Hi,

What I would like to try and get right is get my internal root server to
forward all unresolved queries to my ISP's DNS system.

Details:
----------
HPUX 10.20 with bind 4.9.7
Multiple Internal root servers on WAN behind firewall (firewall1), serving
mutliple internal domains + subdomains.
Have more than one ISP connection at distan geographical locations.
Currently I have wildcard MX records to send all unresolved destination mail
to a mail relay host working off one of the ISP's. The Problem with this
setup is that all non internal internet mail travels across our WAN and out
this distant gateway. The wildcard MX records do work OK! but I want the
mail to take the shortest route out via the local ISP.
The local ISP does not support Mail relaying. I have tried to set up the
"forwarders" , and "options forward-only" , in the local internal root
servers named boot file. However when I do a nslookup on a MX record on a
non-internal host, all I get is the wildcard destination returned that is
set up in the internal DNS db.root file. I can Access the ISP's DNS through
the firewall with nslookup fine! Its seems that my internal DNS server is
not forwarding the request onto my ISP's DNS server. From my understanding
if the forwarding was taking place, an MX record would be returned that
should override the wildcard MX setting.

Any Ideas why I cannot forward queries from my internal DNS server to my
ISP's DNS???
Do I have to run a separate Name server on the firewall host, and then
forward all queries to this machine????

union at icon.co.za