Cisco DDM, Checkpoint Meta-IP, Dynamic DNS, DHCP, and Bind compatability

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Feb 1 03:33:36 UTC 2000

> Well, I don't know if I can answer your question completely, but regarding
CDDM, it's a
> dead product. It was replaced with CNR (Cisco Network Registar). Both
do/did DNS and DHCP.

> I had no end of trouble with CDDM, and am having no end of trouble with
CNR. We've had a
> ticket open with Cisco for several months now. We have roughly 1500 dhcp
clients, and
> the database updates between dhcp and dns lockup dns and sometimes give
out bad data.
> Cisco's first solution was to separate the machines, however their white
paper says I'm
> well within spec as to power of the machine (2 cpu Ultra 2). Then they
wanted me to make
> sure I've got IXFR enabled on all secondaries querying. Well 8.2.2pl5
doesn't do IXFR, and
> I thought I read somewhere that IXFR would only work on dynamic data (but
that could have
> be from CDDM stuff - anybody got an answer to that?)

That's basically right.  The IXFR log file is only updated when the name
server receives a
dynamic update, so if you make manual changes to a zone, the slaves must
fall back to using
AXFR.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.