Zone Forward/Transfer - Help Please

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 29 20:44:22 UTC 2000

In article <92ish8$r3s at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
News Account <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
>zone "mydomain.com" IN {
> type master;
> file "named.mydomain.com";
> allow-update { none; };
> allow-query { 192.x.x.x; };
> allow-transfer { 192.x.x.x; };
> forward first;
> forwarders { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
> check-names warn;
>};
>I have same naming internal/external and want to know how to get my local
>systems to resolve to my external domain. I thought that the forward first
>would accomplish that but it doesn't work the way that I have it setup.

If you're authoritative (master or slave) for a zone, you never forward
queries for names in that zone; being authoritative means you know
everything in that zone.  The "forward" and "forwarders" zone options only
make sense for zones with "type forward".

You should either put your internal stuff into a different zone
(e.g. internal.mydomain.com) or you'll have to duplicate the external
entries on your internal server.  The latter isn't usually a big deal,
since there are usually only a few external entries and they don't change
often.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA