Unapproved Log Messages

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Dec 29 07:59:19 UTC 2000

> I'm running Bind 8.2.2-P5 and my logs are full of this messages:
                         ^^
     You should be upgrading to P7 ASAP. See the security advisory on =
www.isc.org

>=20
> Dec 26 19:12:51 ns1 named[8764]: owner name =
"gc._msdcs.some-domain.com" IN
> (primary) is invalid - rejecting

These are not valid hostnames (for email etc, as '_' is not a valid =
character
for hostnames) and BIND8 rejects these by default
on primary nameservers. You can change that uwing the check-names =
directive.

>=20
>   "To learn cobol is an injustice, therefore it should be a crime to =
teach
> it."

The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.
                -- E. W. Dijkstra

HTH HAHNY