Direction of BIND development in regard to NT.

Ted Watson t405405 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 20:31:03 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'm upgrading name servers for a large government agency.
In the past we've deployed name servers in a hybrid Unix/NT
mix. At one time the NT nameservers were shut down
remotely by a denial of service attack. During this
upgrade we would like to plan for the future and rethink
the mix of servers. Apparently BIND9 is available only
on Unix.  Can anyone here doing BIND development speak
about NT vs Unix issues. Should we expect BIND to always
be developed first on Unix and ported to NT? I'd like my
primary to be a unix box but have a group of administrators
who are intimidated by any non-Windows platform. I've explored
the Webmin DNS interface and it seems to work very well( and
can be secured with X509 certificates ). If BIND for the
forseeable future will be a Unix-developed application
I'll lobby to have the primary stay on Unix. Advice is
welcome here. TW