"glue" record?

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Thu Dec 28 12:24:18 UTC 2000

A glue record is an A record in a parent zone for
an NS record whose RHS is in the zone delegated by
this record:

Example:

	somezone. IN NS ns1.somezone.

note that the name of the nameserver ends in the
zone delegated (somezone). This creates a problem, in
that to be able to fins the address of ns1.somezone, one
would have to query the nameservers of somezone, one of
which is ns1.sonezome, whose address we are trying to find.
(similarly to tell someone asking for the number of directory assistance
to call directoryt assistance for it).

Thus, the parent zone will have to include the address record for
this nameserver as a type of 'hint'. These A records are called
glue. They are not required if the nameserver named in an NS record
is not located in a different zone:

	somezone. IN NS ns1.otherzone.

HTH HAND