Resource Records For Listservs

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 28 02:24:15 UTC 2000

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 07:05:18PM -0500, Robert L. Cochran Jr. wrote:

> Hello, I am working on setting up a listserv by using the LISTSERV-LITE
> product from http://www.lsoft.com . I remember seeing another domain's zone
> records and I think one of these was an 'A' record with the label
> 'listserv'. Is there a good reason for adding details pertinent to a
> listserv to my zone data?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran

As lsoft.com no doubt TRIED to make you aware, the name "Listserv" is a
trademark of theirs for the mailing-list software that they sell.  The
generic name is mailing list.  There is no such thing as "a listserv".

Your mailing-list server, presumably but not necessarily also your mail
server, may have any name that you want.  It can also have aliases,
using CNAME records.  I tend to have "mail" as one of the aliases for
my mail server, because (a) anyone can tell what it is from the MX
record anyway, and (b) it helps to have a name that can travel with the
service if it moves from machine to machine [which it does at long
intervals].

There are arguments for and against giving machines names related to
their functions.  For: primarily the clarity that it brings to those
trying to figure out where your servers are (presumably new users and
new admins).  Also (b) above.  Against: primarily the clarity that it
brings to those trying to figure out where your servers are (presumably
hackers/crackers).  Plus the fact that services may be moved to another
machine.  Also the aesthetics of naming your 7 computers after the 7
Dwarves, or something like that.  ;-)

It is your job to assess the benefits versus the risks of appropriately
naming your mailing-list machine.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B