not the standard findns problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Dec 27 23:21:55 UTC 2000

In article <92dsof$erp at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <simprini at my-deja.com> wrote:
>I am geting the famous
>findns error (NXDOMAIN) on ns1.geeqsquad.com
>BUT
>I am not using an IP address on the right of the NS record and that
>address does indeed resolve. The weird part is that I am not
>authoritative for that class so I can't reverse resolve. I do have full
>control over the geeqsquad.com domain though. I put the NS records in
>the nsiregistry with a glue record for ns1 and ns2. Are the semi legal
>glue records the reason for the failure or is there something I haven't
>set in my host or conf file?

You have the following entry in the geeqsquad.com domain:

ns1.geeqsquad.com. IN NS ns1.geeqsquad.com.

However, there's no glue record for ns1.geeqsquad.com in the geeqsquad.com
domain, and furthermore there's no SOA record for the ns1.geeqsquad.com
subdomain on ns1.  Why are you delegating this as a subdomain?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA