MX Error

Robert L. Cochran Jr. cochranb at clark.net
Wed Dec 27 23:20:24 UTC 2000

I don't know the entire answer, but the MX record looks wrong. The format is

yourdomain.com.	IN	MX	10	yourmailserver.yourdomain.com.

notice the trailing dots at the end of each hostname. They mean the hostname
is completely qualified. Therefore 'gw' won't get turned into
'gw.[origin-name is appended here].' The hostname on the right side of the
MX record has to be the name of the mail server.

You should see Section 15.3 of the book Sendmail, 2nd edition, by Costales
and Allman. That explains MX records. Also check www.sendmail.org ... they
have a page on virtual hosting of email addresses that might give you some
clues.

With the understanding that I'm inexperienced with DNS and others can
correct me...what I think you need is 2 sets of zone records. One is
authoritative for navitaire.com and contains an MX record which points to
the correct server. The second zone should be authoritative for prasol.com
and it should contain an MX record pointing to the same mail server host as
for navitaire.com.

Next, and again I'm speaking with the voice of inexperience, you need to do
some fancy footwork with aliasing the email addresses for prasol.com. and
navitaire.com. once incoming mail actually arrives at the server. You need
something like a virtuserstable and an aliases file to map mail addresses to
the right recipient. Since you are using Exchange server and I'm unfamiliar
with Exchange, I'll stop here.

Bob