Multi-Homed hosts and BIND 8

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 25 21:30:44 UTC 2000

In article <926ckc$72c at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Tim Daneliuk  <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

>Running a machine w/2 broadband connections under FreeBSD 4.1
>
>I have configured BIND 8 for all the usual stuff on the primary interface.
>What is the scheme for configuring the 2nd interface into DNS w/o confusing
>things.  In other words, how does a single machine respond to requests from
>multiple interfaces and keep track of what its name is on each interface?
>Is it as simple as giving the machine a new name on the second interface
>and then letting the IP infrastructure figure out which name is relevant
>on a request by request basis, or is there more to it than this?

The DNS server generally doesn't care what its name is.  It just looks up
names in the zone files.

If you want the server to give different answers depending on which
interface someone queries, you will have to run multiple named processes,
each with their own named.conf and zone files.  Each named.conf files will
contain a "listen-on" option that specifies the IP address of the interface
that the process should respond on.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA