HOSTING AT HOME

John Cichy john at greengator.com
Mon Dec 25 00:42:48 UTC 2000

Izzie,

Most of the 'New' registrars will allow you to change your zone info
online, in fact the old ones (Network Solutions) are starting to also.
The only problem though is the fact that most dns servers cache the dns
information that is requested through them, so a user from say earthlink
requests your site, the earthlink dns server caches the result, then
your connection drops for some reason. You then go in and update your
zone info after you bring your connection back up and get a new IP.
Anyone from earthlink that requests your site will get your old
information until the cache expires. I use Earthlink only as an example
because they have a large subscriber base, certainly not to put them in
a bad light. If you ask the ISP when ordering the account about a static
IP most will have an offering, usually under a 'commercial' account.
This tends to have one other advantage, when you have a commercial
account and something goes wrong, the tend to be quicker to respond. For
me it is worth $50.00, $15.00 more then the dhcp account, and to be
honest, a lot simpler to set up. As proof of the better service, I had a
problem yesterday where I had to recycle the modem twice during the day.
I called last night around 9:30pm and by 10:00am this morning I had a
tech. knocking at my door with a new modem. I can't complain about that.

Just my $.03 worth, would have said 2, but I was a little long winded!