Speed of BIND vs. W2k DNS

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Sun Dec 24 08:09:20 UTC 2000

> >People have seen problems using BIND and DDNS in a W2K enviro. Mostly with
> >BIND not taking the updates properly. A records I think....
>
> Casting the problem as BIND not taking the updates is pre-supposing that
> W2K is sending correct updates.  In any event, this is the first I've heard
> of such a problem.  More detail would be helpful.  We did find problems
> with BINDv9 and W2K DNS due to Microsoft sending two bytes of garbage (not
> surprisingly, the ASCII characters "M" and "S") in zone transfers (or
> something like that, I've forgotten the details).  We solved the problem by
> relaxing BINDv9's conformance to the specs in that area...

	I've seen no problems with BIND taking dynamic updates
	from Win2k boxes (if those are the kind of updates you are
	referring to.)  WRT the above, I think it's a shame
	that the authors of BIND have to relax it's conformance
	to the specs to solve what is essentially someone elses
	broken implementation.