DDNS updates for in-addr.arpa.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 21 22:40:47 UTC 2000

Waltner, Steve wrote:

> We use comments in the DNS file to remind those modifying the zone file what
> IP ranges are supposed to be used for. (ie, NT servers, desktop system,
> engineering servers, x terminals, disk arrays, lab test systems, etc...)

Okay, I'd lump that in the category of "non-DNS information".

> don't necessarily need to maintain the current setup, but do need a viable
> alternative that would integrate well with a DHCP making changes in
> parallel.
>
> Are there any suggestions for a management system that meets the following
> criteria:
> - DDNS based updates to zone file
> - web interface preferred, command-line OK
> - Automatically generates/deletes PTR records when an A record is
> generated/deleted
> - When doing an update on an existing record, queries and finds all RRs for
> a given name (we use A and MX on every name, and several have TXT RRs as
> well) to show user what currently is setup for that name

Mine does all of that except for the last. I don't allow my users to manipulate
TXT and MX records, so it's not really an issue. On the relatively-rare
occasions where an MX change is needed, I do it myself "manually" (using
nsupdate). I also retain control of all zone creation and deletion, which are
even more rare.

However, I don't think your last requirement would be particularly difficult.
Just do an ANY query and display the results.

> Kevin, are your CGI scripts available for me to get a jump start on the
> work? Does anyone else want to offer up their own set of scripts as a
> starting point?

Unfortunately, all of my stuff was written on DaimlerChrysler time, so
technically it's their intellectual property. But I could give you some
pointers if you want to create something similar. If it's not of general
interest, we should probably take that discussion off-line.

- Kevin