master bind 8 <-> slave bind 4

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Dec 21 18:02:05 UTC 2000

    Francois> When updating my BIND8, the BIND4 is notify but got the
    Francois> error :

    Francois> Err/TO lors de l'obtention du numéro de série pour
    Francois> "chenais.net" when getting serial number for  "chenais.net" (little translation :-)

Quelle surprise! I didn't know BIND spoke French!

First check the logs on the BIND8 server. There could be errors in the
zone file for chenais.net which prevented the zone from being
loaded. BIND8 is less tolerant of syntax errors than BIND4 was. This
could prevent zone transfers from working. However you say that the
slave server received a NOTIFY. This would suggest the master server
managed to load the zone successfully. So if the zone wasn't loaded
OK, fix the errors that are reported in the log.

If the zone was loaded OK, the problem is not on the master
server. There could be a connectivity problem between the master and
slave. [Try running named-xfer by hand on the slave or get dig to do
axfr queries for the zone.] If that works OK, check the slave's
configuration. Maybe it's checking a wrong address for the master
server? Or could the slave server think it has a newer version of the
chenais.net zone (ie a larger SOA serial number) than the master
server?