NTP

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Dec 21 10:34:49 UTC 2000

    >> Another suggestion. Configure the Network Time Protocol on your
    >> computers.

    Kenneth> Now if we could just get ISP's to load this on their name
    Kenneth> servers and make this visible to their clients....

Pick another ISP if the one you use is so clueless it doesn't run NTP
internally or make the service available to its customers.

    Kenneth> Presumably an NTP server can coexist with a name server
    Kenneth> without unduly loading the box? (I'm just looking for
    Kenneth> ammo to lobby my ISP's with.)

Yes. Though if the box is getting many hundreds of NTP and DNS packets
per second it might be an idea to offer these services on separate
boxes. Running an NTP daemon has negligible performance impact on
today's hardware, (Or yesterday's.) BTW, alarm bells should be
sounding if you're having to convince your ISP of the virtues of
them keeping their computer's clocks synchronised.