Speed of BIND vs. W2k DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 21 02:38:11 UTC 2000

Jozef Skvarcek wrote:

> Also, I noticed that the round-robin answers from the BIND are generated
> by random, i.e. the first values are not consecutive.
> Is there any way to make it that way?

Unfortunately not. ISC has in recent years made the design decision to not
store any positional state for RRsets. But positional state is necessary to
implement "fair" ordering algorithms with deterministic aspects (such as
"true" Round Robin and others). Now that BIND 9 has reasonable data
structures representing RRsets, maybe it will be possible to offer more
choices in ordering algorithms...

- Kevin