Scavenging records

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 20 19:57:15 UTC 2000

    Blake> Folks, I am currently running DDNS on BIND 8.2.2-p7 and
    Blake> noticed that some of the records that have been put in are
    Blake> for machines that no longer exist on our domain (guests
    Blake> coming in, etc).  Is there an option that I can set in the
    Blake> named.conf file (either global or zone option) which will
    Blake> periodically scavenge expired records from the files
    Blake> automatically?

No. How can the name server tell which names are no longer in use? It
has to believe what it was told: ie whatever you put in the zone file
and made the name server load. What you've described is a change
management problem, not a DNS problem. You've got stale/incorrect data
in your zones because there's a hole in the CM procedures used to
manage their zone files.