Migrating 8.x.x BIND to 9.0.1

Robert Gahl bgahl at bawcsa.org
Tue Dec 19 01:08:29 UTC 2000

Thanks, Mark. That helps. Of course, there are follow-on questions since
I'm a complete newbie at views.

At 11:36 AM 12/19/2000 +1100, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

>         If you have multiple classes in named.conf you must make use of
>         the views mechanism.  This has been added to doc/misc/migration.
>
>         view "in" in {
>                 //
>         }
>
>         view "chaos" chaos {
>         }

Okay, that said (and yes, I have multiple "classes", I believe), here is my
current/old "bind" reference:

> > The named.conf (in /etc) for 'bind' looks like:
> >
> > zone "bind" chaos {
> >          type master;
> >          file "primary/bind";
> >          allow-query {
> >                  trusted;
> >          };
> >          allow-transfer {
> >                  none;
> >          };
> > };

In the view statement for chaos, would this look like:

view "chaos" chaos {
         allow-query {
                 trusted;
         };
         allow-transfer {
                 none;
         }
};

and if so, do I then just drop the equivalent statements in the zone
definition? And, for the "in" view, this would govern all items so defined.

And, lastly, is the default definition "in". That is, I have the following
in named.conf:

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "zone.127.0.0";
         //
};

and

zone "netflame.cc" {
         type slave;
         file "secondary/zone.netflame.cc";
         masters {
                 64.210.184.134;         // ns1.netflame.cc
         };
         //
};

Are these "in" classes by default? Do I need to explicitly define them?

Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

===
Bob Gahl Bicycle (Ryan Vanguard) Mobile ||     @
     ARPA/Internet: bgahl at bawcsa.org     ||  !_ \
"Sahn joong moe low ful how jee yah ching wong" - "When the
mountain has no tigers, the monkey will also declare himself
king." Chinese Proverb