abc.com and www.abc.com

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 18 18:01:49 UTC 2000

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:31:20AM +0000, Michael W. Randall wrote:

> "C.K. Lung" wrote:
> >
> > Is there any downside providing users to access our web site using abc.com
> > and/or www.abc.com?  Would there be any security vulnerabilities/risks?  Any
> > comments are appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > CLung
>
> There is ONE thing you should be aware of. You will need to make sure
> you set the MX Record to the appropriate host. And sorry, but I can't
> remember clearly, it's been a while, I think you want to use a CNAME
> record for the abc.com name, otherwise the SMTP Process will think it's
> a host, and deliver mail there instead of to the MX record host. It
> tries to deliver to hosts before it forwards to the MX record.

EXCUSE ME?

A domain name MAY NOT have a CNAME record.

A mail deliverer that works properly will deliver to the host named in
the MX record [which should NOT be a CNAME], and never to the named
host if there exists an MX record.

Why do you make these contrary assertions?

Oh, goodie: another person to good to receive e-mail.

To: "Michael W. Randall" <toopistoffDON'T at SPAM.yahoo.com>

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B