internal/external IPs and DNS

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Sun Dec 17 22:55:12 UTC 2000

> is it okay to place my internal machines and there 10.x.x.x numbers on
> my external DNS machine. i only have one server machine and was wishing
> to use it for both internal and external address resolution. this won't
> cause any conflicts with other external networks will it?
>
> thanks for any help (amateur sys adm!),

	It is not good practice return addresses to internal space
	to an external query.

	The usual way around this is to run two instances of a nameserver
	on one machine.

	With BIND 8 this requires two or more interface to listen-on, virtual
	interface are fine.  One for internal clients one for external clients.

	With BIND 9 you can achieve the same effect by using views on one
	interface.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.