setting minimum cache time

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 15 16:16:52 UTC 2000

phil-bind at ipal.net wrote:

> Is there any way short of code hacking to force a minimum cache time for
> non-authoritative data being cached in this server?  I've been seeing
> at least one domain that periodically has names set to 10 seconds cache
> time.  I want to force everything to not less than 300 seconds by local
> policy.

Why would you *want* to use data which is officially expired, according to
the data's owner?

No, there's no way to do this without code hacking, simply because there
*should* be no reason to do this at all. Believe me, it's very annoying
from a web-hosting perspective to find people who have hacked their
nameservers this way (or are just running crappy nameserver implementations
that don't do cache expiration properly) who are still using stale old data
that I changed hours or days ago.

- Kevin