SETUP BIND

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Dec 15 13:48:59 UTC 2000

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 12:38:22PM -0000, Wallingford, Ron wrote:
> I am a Newbie with BIND. I am looking for a little guidance
>
> I have a Sparc station which i need to setup BIND on.
> I have configured my db.* files and my config file.
>
> I start up "./named" without any errors, however when I perform an
> "nslookup" on my domain name, I get an error stating the local server cannot
> find the Name server.  I have pointed the local resolv.conf to itself.
> (local server)
>
> do I have to do anythin else?

Provide more information.

This may be a simple problem.  If you are saying that you just run
'nslookup' and it says that your server can't find its own name, then
you have not configured reverse lookup domains.  This is a known
problem with 'nslookup'.  It distresses some people incredibly.
Understand that 'nslookup' does not do the same thing as a regular DNS
lookup.  It just pretends to, and occasionally not convincingly.

Are you using Sun's version of BIND?  If so, you need to get the
current version of BIND - 8.2.2-P7.  I don't know whether
http://www.sunfreeware.com/ or one of the sunsites have this yet.  If
not, you will need to get 'gcc' and 'gmake', and make it from source.

What is in your /etc/named.conf file?  Have you specified a directory
in the options?  Are the zone files in that directory?  When 'named'
started up, did it stay up?  [Do a 'ps -ef'.]  Did it give you any
errors in your log file?

Did you in fact configure a reverse-lookup domain?  You should.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B