estimated capacity of bind

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Dec 13 17:13:43 UTC 2000

    Rafael> hi, we would like to know if it exists any type of
    Rafael> limitations in the number of domains that a dns server can
    Rafael> support (bind 8.2.2 P7 under solaris 2.6) or it only
    Rafael> depends of the own machine.

A BIND8 server supports a maximum of around 16 million zones, assuming
your OS allows the name server to use enough VM to hold that number of
zones. I'm not aware of anyone running servers that have anything like
that many zones, though I've heard of a few organisations - big ISPs,
telcos, etc - that have 100-500k zones on their name servers.