Intermittent connection problem

Colin Stefani colins at pro2net.com
Wed Dec 13 16:41:39 UTC 2000

Here's what I'd check first...

You mentioned that nslookup seems to "seldom" work between the sites. I am
wondering if there's any packet filtering/firewall setup in between the
sites? Are those sites directly connected (as in Frame-relay,
point-to-point, etc.)?

I didn't notice you say that you have administrative control of the other
side's DNS server, if not, both admins (yours and theirs) may want to check
the logs that named puts out to see if there's a configuration error in one
of the zone files, especially on the AIX box (hopefully you've done this
already). If one of the sides is rejecting a zone file then that could cause
it to not work properly, which might explain intermittency, as the secondary
may or may not be giving the right information.

Also, check /etc/named.conf (or .boot depending) to see if there's any
limitations on queries that are set.

I still think it sounds like port 53 is being blocked somewhere. Does the
AIX running (4 or 8 versions) have the ability to resolve hosts otherwise?
is it just this one network? The reason I ask is that, I'm wondering if it
can get to the root servers to determine who to ask for that domain? It's
just a hunch but worth checking out.

regards,

colin