rndc and Bind 9

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Dec 12 19:47:20 UTC 2000

    Lisa> I meant to say: "There are no named error messages in
    Lisa> /var/adm/messages".  There are actually messages about it
    Lisa> starting successfully.  Excuse my mis-statement.  I also
    Lisa> added port 953 tcp and udp to /etc/services (just to see)
    Lisa> and I still get "connection refused".  I'll try lsof as you
    Lisa> suggest.  Is it anything like snoop?

I don't think so. IIRC snoop is a Sun tool for looking at network
traffic. I believe snoop is like tcpdump but not as useful. lsof is a
*great* PD tool for finding out which files/sockets a process is using
or for finding out which processes are using some files or sockets. It
can also tell you about the shared executables and libraries and
current working directory of a process.

As I said before the "connection refused" messages mean that the name
server hasn't created the listener on port 953 for rndc to connect to.
That tends to suggest you're running a name server that doesn't know
anything about this control socket. Are you *sure* you're running a
BIND9 server? Does lsof confirm this? Is that BIND9 server reading the
named.conf file you posted earlier? What is in the name server logs?
Why didn't you post them here? Your problem could be diagnosed and
fixed a lot quicker if you gave that information.