Bind refuse to cache DNS query results

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 12 18:13:18 UTC 2000

The configuration you showed should allow caching of query responses --
in fact, there isn't any way to configure named to *not* cache query
*first* "nameserver" entry in /etc/resolv.conf? What about the
TTL (time-to-live) values of the records you are querying? If they are
set really small, then maybe the records are timing out the cache
between your queries.

By the way, you can dump your nameserver's cache with "ndc dumpdb" or
sending an INT signal to the "named" process. That should be proof
positive whether the entries are getting into the nameserver's cache or
not.

- Kevin